BY BETTE ADDINGTON
AMF Southwest Lanes will host this year’s Golden Empire United States Bowling Congress Youth City Tournament on the weekend of May 18-19.
Local junior bowlers from Mount Mesa in Lake Isabella, Westside Recreation Park District/West Side Lanes in Taft and juniors from local Bakersfield bowling centers are all welcome to join in on this year’s Youth City Tournament.
Saturday, May 18, will be the Team event starting at noon, and Sunday, May 19, will be the Doubles and Singles portion of the tournament also starting at noon. There are two divisions in the tournament — 12 and Under is the Bantam/Prep division and 13 and Up is the Junior/Major division. Both divisions will be handicapped based on the bowler’s January 1, 2013 average of 12 games or more. If they don’t have a January 1, 2013 average, then they will use their current average of 12 games or more. Teams are comprised of four bowlers in the same division any combination. Entry fee is $10 per event per bowler. There is also an award for All Events but bowler must compete in Team, Doubles and Singles to be eligible for this award. This is a USBC-sanctioned event so all youth bowlers must have a GEUSBC card in order to compete.
For a list of rules and sign-up entry forms, stop by any of the mentioned bowling centers or download the form from the GEUSBC website (www.geusbc.org). You can also call Regency Lanes (661) 325-6428 and have them fax you a copy. Parents, Grandparents, Family and Friends—let’s get our junior bowlers out for some fun, competitive bowling.
Summertime Fun at Regency -- 820 Real Road – (661) 325-6428
Regency Lanes just announced a new league for this summer — All-American Power League — that will start on Friday, June 7, at 6:30pm.
This new league is open to everyone and teams will be mixed trios, any combination. The league bowls on Friday nights for 12 weeks and cost is $18 per person per night, but wait, there’s more! This league also includes one (1) Power Ball ticket per bowler per week included with your weekly fee. This league will also generate a good-sized prize fund (for example, with just 14 teams, prize fund will generate $5,000!). But, in addition to all this, bowlers bowling in this league will also have an opportunity to win in the 2013 $30,000 Giveaway! For every visit at Regency Lanes, bowlers will be given a raffle ticket where every week starting June 11 through August 27. Their ticket will be in a drawing that takes place every Monday where they will draw 15 to 20 winning tickets each week for prizes including a 50” Big Screen TV, Las Vegas Vacations, Bicycles, Bowling Balls and Bags, DVD Players, Motorized Scooters, Disney and Knott’s Tickets, Golf Passes, Gift Certificates, $100 in Regency Bucks and Movie Tickets. So come in and join the fun on Friday nights starting June 7 and join the All-American Power league today. Sign up individually or find two friends to make a mixed trio team and sign up together. Contact Christina Morcos at Regency at (661) 325-6428 or (661) 348-5654 or email her at email@example.com for further information. Also, check out Regency’s website at www.regencybowling.com.
- Youth Bowling Camp at Regency on Thursdays starting June 13 from 12 noon to 3 p.m. every Thursday and runs through August. This camp is open for youth bowlers aged 6 through 15. Cost is just $10 per week and includes some bowling instruction plus a hot dog and soda. Youth bowlers can attend whatever Thursday they can to enjoy this camp. Call Regency today to get signed up at (661) 325-6428.
- Mega Ball 2013 starts on Tuesday night, May 21 at 6:30pm. This league is open to bowlers of every level and all bowlers will receive a ball of their choice at the end of the league. This is a mixed trios league so any combination of adult trios and it is a handicapped league. Cost is $22 per bowler per week and league has two 7-week rounds plus Sweeper. Contact Regency to sign-up today (661) 325-6428 or Bowler’s Edge Pro Shop at (661) 324-6303
AMF Southwest Lanes Summer Bowling Leagues of Interest
3610 Wible Road – (661) 834-2695
- Robb’s Ball League starts on Thursday, May 16 at 7pm (there will be a league meeting that night starting at 6pm). Cost is $16 per week per bowler and all bowlers in this league will receive a ball of their choice. Teams are comprised of any adult mixed trios. Length of league is 16 weeks. Contact AMF Southwest Lanes to get signed up at (661) 834-2695 or contact Robb’s Pro Shop at (661) 833-2695.
- Openings still for the popular Gambler’s Anonymous league which just started last week and bowls on Wednesday nights at 6:15pm. Teams for this league are mixed fours any combination and league bowls for 24 weeks here and the 25th week is bowled over in Las Vegas! Cost is $16 per bowler per week.
- If Gambler’s Anonymous is too early for you, then check out the Las Vegas league that bowls also on Wednesday nights but at 9pm and there are still openings as this league just started on April 24. Teams for this league are any trio and cost is $17 per week and the league runs just 20 weeks.
- And, for the Youth, how about 10 for 10? This Summer Saturday morning league starts on Saturday, June 15 at 10am and youth bowl for 10 weeks for $10 per week (pre-payment of $100 at initial sign-up).
Carlie Medina III’s Special Team for USBC Open Nationals
Bakersfield’s Carlie Medina III will honor the memory of the late Tony Reyes when he bowls in the USBC (United States Bowling Congress) Open Nationals this year on May 22 & 23 in Reno, NV, as he will be bowling on a team that was hand-picked by the late Reyes. Medina said that PBA great Robert Smith will be bowling in Reyes’ spot.
GEUSBC Youth compete in Pepsi State Classic
Three local youth bowlers who qualified in their District Final back in March, traveled to Classic Bowl in Daly City to compete in the Pepsi State Classic this past weekend, May 4-5. Tyler Samora placed 57th with a nice 236 game in the Under 20 Boys division and Paul St. Laurent placed 95th. Samora and St. Laurent are from the AMF Southwest Lanes youth bowling program. Noah Dunbach placed 92nd in the Under 15 Boys division and started out his six games with 179 and 183 games. Dunbach is from the Regency Lanes youth bowling program. This is a huge tournament and these bowlers should be thrilled they qualified at the District level to be able to compete in this event!
Weekly Super Scores
- Dan Plant, bowling in the position round for Marge’s Social Group league at Regency last Thursday, May 2, put together 11 strikes in a row for a nice 299 game which also was over 100 pins over his average of 195!
- Also bowling last Thursday at Regency, in Marge’s Social Group league, Mike Yorba, really helped his team “Last Ones Bowling” win the second round first place spot by rolling a nice 289 game for his first game of the night.
Bowling Community Calendar
- Wed., May 15: Entries close for 2013 CUSBC Youth State Tournament (July 20-28, Marin County), www.calusbc.com or (415) 492-8880.
- Sat. & Sun., May 18-19: 8th annual GEUSBC Youth City Tournament, AMF Southwest Lanes, Team on Sat. at noon, Doubles & Singles on Sun. at noon. For info, contact Mike at (661) 324-6303.
Bowling High Scores
Regency Bowling Center for Weeks 30-31 of Winter leagues ending May 1, 2013.
MEN’S 250+ GAMES
299--Ron Andrews; 279 -- Mike Hardwick; 269 -- Ray Nearey; 267 -- Aris Anadilla; 266 -- Doug Heitman; 259 -- Chris Mormann; 258 -- Carlie Medina III, Tyson Holder, Casey Rosenblad; 257 -- Mike Mayo; 255 -- Bill Field, Ian Byers, Bill Bumacod; 253 -- Terry Bowe
234 -- Zack Long; 203 -- Noah Dunbach; 148 -- Ricky Gonzalez; 126 -- Seth Florez
MEN’S 700+ SERIES
773 -- Ron Andrews; 741 -- Carlie Medina III; 720 -- Chris Mormann; 715 -- Zack Newman; 712 -- Aris Anadilla
WOMEN’S 220+ GAMES
245 -- Stephanie Sanders; 237 -- Becky Hardwick; 228 -- Lenore Espinoza; 225 -- Cheryl Lamberson, Michelle Mormann; 220 -- Toni Draeger
135 -- Nicole Tweedy; 112 -- Allissa Sweet
WOMEN’S 600+ SERIES
659 -- Stephanie Sanders; 620 -- Lenore Espinoza; 606 -- Becky Hardwick
--Marge’s Super Senior No-Tap Singles Tournament
Thurs., April 25, 2013, 1 p. m., Regency Lanes
1st – Linda Perry (865)
2nd – Caroline Elliott (839)
3rd – Lorene Johnson (830)
1st – Elwood Elliott (940)
2nd – Jerry Pettiford (832)
3rd – Lynn Bender (811)
Coffee Club, Regency Lanes
Sunday mornings, 10:00 a.m.
Sun., April 28th results:
1st – Nancy Curran & Mike Curtis (1838)
2nd – Bryan Reid & Chris Gregory (1811)
3rd – Greg Barraza & Gary Cole (1730)
*Norris Richards won 3-6-9 for $55
Sun., May 5th results:
1st – Jack Dunn & Gary Cole (1855)
2nd – John Curtis & Chris Gregory (1816)
3rd – Michelle Dunn & Ron Andrews (1752)
BOWLING COMMUNITY CALENDAR
Wed., May 15: Entries close for 2013 CUSBC Youth State Tournament (July 20-28, Marin County), www.calusbc.com or (415) 492-8880.
Sat. & Sun., May 18-19: 8th annual GEUSBC Youth City Tournament, AMF Southwest Lanes, Team on Sat. at noon, Doubles & Singles on Sun. at noon. For info, contact Mike at (661) 324-6303.