KAREN SALLEE: Progress and memories, and never the twain shall meet
The Thomas Roads Improvement Program (TRIP) will soon demolish my childhood home to make way for the Centennial Corridor. Gone will be a big chunk of the neighborhood where my earliest memories were made. I am heartbroken. I grew up off Stockdale Highway at 26 Morrison Street in a middle-class neighborhood. My parents bought our home in 1954 in the...
- WYATT ROSS: Adjust teacher tenure -- don't get rid of it
- DAN EMMETT: White House security has failed — bring in the military.
- JOHN PRYOR: Cybertheft prevention is not just Congress' job -- it's ours
Our View: The editorial opinion of The Californian
Swearengin is the right pick for controller
Ashley Swearengin, a rising Republican star and candidate for state controller, was a keynote speaker at last weekend's GOP convention. Swearengin is remembered less for what she said during the event than for what she would not say. Swearengin, who hopes voters in November will elect her to be the state's fiscal watchdog, refused to endorse other candidates...
- Chiang a solid choice for state treasurer
- OUR VIEW: Take down intruder bears with darts, not lethal means
- Streets of Bakersfield haven't been very safe