WADE EAGLETON: History suggests a humane approach to our border crisis
Many conservatives, including Christian conservatives, proudly identify with former President George W. Bush, believing in his style of governing and politics. Bush coined the phase "compassionate conservatism" and made it the center of his social agenda. The approach was contained in legislation Bush signed into law in 2008. The legislation focused on the...
- STEVE NELSEN: Dear Senator: Get to know us in the valley
- DIANNE HOOVER: Spray parks will be missed, but you still can enjoy the summer
- HITS & MISSES: NFL isn't perfect, but it should be better than this
Our View: The editorial opinion of The Californian
City staff trips over memorial bricks, tiles
Bakersfield City Councilmen Russell Johnson and Terry Maxwell were correct to sound the alarm, warning Bakersfield residents that the city planned to remove engraved memorial bricks and tiles from Centennial Plaza. And City Manager Alan Tandy was wise to temporarily put the brakes on the plan after receiving calls from Johnson and Maxwell, as well as hearing...
- End the court fight and get responsible, LA
- Why it's time to grow up and ban fireworks
- Politics must not indefinitely stall reform