LINDA EVISTON: A DUI task force may make our lives safer at all times of year
Recently my husband and I were at a retirement luncheon out of town. It was a delightful event with ample wine available for all. The host asked my husband and me, "Which one of you is driving?" before offering more libations. I quickly volunteered, since I knew we had been there several hours, and I was confident that my BAC (blood alcohol content) was...
- LINDSAY ONO: Recent summit at BC discussed ag's strengths and challenges
- LAUREN SMOOT: How are we going to pay for Kern's newest jail addition?
- LETICIA PEREZ: District attorney turns a few heads by breaking the mold
Our View: The editorial opinion of The Californian
Lerdo decision had to be made
Kern County Supervisors are right to be uneasy about spending the money to upgrade the Lerdo jail, but it's clear the work needs to be done. Under the fog of potential lawsuits from inmates with disabilities or special needs, supervisors voted to spend $100.5 million to build an 822-bed addition to the aging county facility, which hasn't been updated since...
- A day of welcome rain and notoriety
- Assessor race: Voters, just take your pick
- Peterson best Secretary of State option