1 of 1
By Felix Adamo / The Californian
BY JASON KOTOWSKI Californian staff writer email@example.com
The attorney for the teen accused of opening fire and critically injuring a student at Taft Union High School has withdrawn from the case because of a conflict of interest, according to court documents.
Judge Steven M. Katz granted attorney David A. Torres' motion to withdraw as suspected shooter Bryan Oliver's attorney, court documents said. The motion was granted Wednesday morning.
- Taft school shooting victim readmitted to hospital
- Documents: Taft high school shooting suspect wrote story of killing, torture
- Taft Union High buoyed by show of support
- Mother of Taft Union shooting victim: 'I'll never take his voice for granted'
- Taft parents support officer absent day of school shooting
- Taft parents vent fury over inaction prior to shooting
- Taft Union officials release statement; Stan Lee reaches out to injured student
- Sadness, solidarity on display as classes resume at Taft Union High School
- Suspect in Taft Union High shooting charged as adult
- School administrators being 'hyper-vigilant' after Taft shooting
- Taft vigil features prayers, encouragement
- Students at other schools on edge after Taft shooting
- Taft still reeling from shock of school shooting
- In Taft, a day of "pure tragedy"
- Doctor: Taft shooting victim "a very lucky kid"
- Teacher praised for "heroic" actions to disarm school shooter
- Community leaders react to Taft shooting
- Taft student in critical condition following campus shooting; teen suspect held
Kern County Deputy Public Defender Paul Cadman confirmed Thursday he is now representing Oliver.
Torres could not be reached for comment. He said in court documents that he only recently became aware of the conflict.
"Based on the confidential conflict, I can no longer ethically represent Mr. Oliver in any of his criminal proceedings," Torres wrote in the documents.
Also Wednesday, Oliver's preliminary hearing was pushed back from May 2 to July 9.
Oliver has pleaded not guilty to two counts of attempted murder and three counts of assault with a gun for shooting and critically injuring a student at Taft High. The Jan. 10 shooting came on the heels of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newton, Conn., and led to international coverage and renewed calls for gun restrictions.
Authorities said Oliver shot and critically injured student Bowe Cleveland and fired at but missed student Jacob Nichols. Shotgun pellets grazed teacher Ryan Heber, who, along with campus supervisor Kim Fields, convinced Oliver to drop the gun, officials said.
Oliver, 16 at the time of the shooting, is being held on $1.5 million bail. A probable cause declaration filed in court said Oliver told authorities he targeted Cleveland and Nichols because they bullied him.
Cleveland, also 16 at the time, suffered injuries to his abdomen and chest and underwent several surgeries. Daniel Rodriguez, the attorney representing the family in a claim against the school district alleging school officials should have known Oliver was dangerous, has said Cleveland faces months of physical and psychological therapy.
Earlier this month, Cleveland was rushed to the hospital with a greenish liquid oozing from a hole in his chest. Rodriguez said Cleveland was discharged after a day, but there continues to be swelling in the upper right area of his chest and liquid continues to leak out.
A doctor told the family he believes Cleveland's liver was damaged and bile is leaking through the wound, Rodriguez said Thursday. He said the family is hoping the liver heals and the leakage stops, but if it continues Cleveland will have to undergo surgery to repair it.
"It's a touch-and-go situation," Rodriguez said. "He's not out of the woods yet."