1 of 1
By Alex Horvath / The Californian
BY JASON KOTOWSKI Californian staff writer email@example.com
The attorney for a student badly injured in a school shooting earlier this year is hoping to get answers — including whether the shooter had earlier compiled a hit list that school officials knew about — through a lawsuit filed Tuesday against the Taft Union High School District.
Attorney Daniel Rodriguez has said the district failed to take adequate precautions in connection with the dangers accused shooter Bryan Oliver presented. Rodriguez has said district officials knew, or reasonably should have known, that Oliver was dangerous, threatening and likely to commit a violent act.
- New attorney appointed for Taft Union High shooting suspect
- Taft school shooting victim readmitted to hospital
- Documents: Taft high school shooting suspect wrote story of killing, torture
- Taft Union High buoyed by show of support
- Civil lawsuit will reveal case's details
- Mother of Taft Union shooting victim: 'I'll never take his voice for granted'
- Taft parents support officer absent day of school shooting
- Taft parents vent fury over inaction prior to shooting
- Taft Union officials release statement; Stan Lee reaches out to injured student
- Sadness, solidarity on display as classes resume at Taft Union High School
- Suspect in Taft Union High shooting charged as adult
- School administrators being 'hyper-vigilant' after Taft shooting
- Taft vigil features prayers, encouragement
- Students at other schools on edge after Taft shooting
- In Taft, a day of "pure tragedy"
- Doctor: Taft shooting victim "a very lucky kid"
- Teacher praised for "heroic" actions to disarm school shooter
- Taft student in critical condition following campus shooting; teen suspect held
The attorney is also seeking damages to cover injured student Bowe Cleveland’s medical fees, which have already climbed into the tens of thousands of dollars.
District Superintendent Blanca Cavazos could not be reached for comment Tuesday.
Rodriguez said he raised three main points in the lawsuit.
First, he wants information on the alleged hit list. He said if such a list was found then the district should have contacted the parents of every student on the list and warned them of the danger.
District officials also should have contacted Oliver’s parents and learned if they kept guns at home, the attorney said.
Second, the district has a campus security officer who didn’t make it to work the day of the shooting because he travels from Frazier Park and was snowed in. Rodriguez said another officer should have been there.
“By all accounts he’s a pretty good guy and that type of stuff happens, but where was the backup plan?” Rodriguez said.
Third, there are gates to keep people from entering the school at spots other than the main entrance. It’s the campus security officer’s job to make sure all the gates are secured.
Rodriguez said it’s his understanding that Oliver entered the campus through an unlocked gate next to the science building where the shooting took place. He said there should have procedures in place to make sure all the gates were locked.
Cleveland suffered severe injuries in the Jan. 10 incident.
Authorities have said Oliver, 16 at the time, entered the school with a shotgun and fired upon Cleveland and student Jacob Nichols in a classroom. Cleveland suffered injuries to his abdomen and chest, and Nichols was uninjured.
Shotgun pellets grazed teacher Ryan Heber, who, along with campus supervisor Kim Fields, convinced Oliver to drop the gun, authorities said. A probable cause declaration filed in court said Oliver told authorities he targeted Cleveland and Nichols because they bullied him.
Oliver has pleaded not guilty to two counts of attempted murder and three counts of assault with a gun on a person.