By BREAKING NEWS BLOG
The Bakersfield Police Department is recruiting and testing for police trainees.
The department expects to hire trainees, some of whom will be funded by a federal grant to hire military veterans who were honorably discharged after Sept. 11, 2011, according to a BPD news release.
An academy will begin in July.
People can get application forms and additional employment information from:
* City of Bakersfield Human Resources Office -- City Hall, 1600 Truxtun Ave.; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday though Friday.
Applications are due no later than 1 p.m. Pacific Time, Thursday, March 7.
Call 326-3732 for information.
According to a BPD flier, the minimum qualifications for applicants are:
* Age 20 1/2 at time of written exam.
* Must possess U.S. high school diploma or GED.
* Must posess valid class "C" California driver's license.
* Vision and physical condition must satisfy established POST Medical Standards as provided on their website: http://post.ca.gov/medical-screening-manual.aspx
* Must be in good physical condition; weight must be in proportion to height.
* Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien who is eligible and has applied for citizenship.
* Record must be free of any felony convictions.