By BREAKING NEWS BLOG
Electrical issues apparently caused an attic fire in a south Bakersfield residence early Thursday afternoon, city fire officials said.
The fire in the 100 block of Sparks Street was reported at 12:50 p.m., Battalion Chief Bill Ballard said. There were no injuries and a damage estimate was not immediately available.
Ballard said the fire was smoldering in the attic and was confined to the one residence. A reinforced alarm was initially called but canceled en route when the first crew got the fire under control.
Firefighters in situations like this typically have to pull part of the ceiling down to get to the fire so it's likely the residents will be displaced until repairs are made, he said.
- The Californian