Breaking News Blog

Friday, Dec 28 2012 07:21 PM

Faulty fireplace causes home to catch fire

By THE BAKERSFIELD CALIFORNIAN

A faulty fireplace started a fire in a single-family home in Lake Isabella on Friday, but Kern County firefighters were able to quickly extinguish it, according to a Kern County Fire Department news release.

At about 11:20 a.m., fire crews were called to the blaze in the 2000 block of Angler Avenue. They saw heavy smoke coming from the doors, windows and underneath the home.

They quickly realized the fire started near the fireplace and put it out, according to the news release.

The home had a working smoke detector, which helped the resident get outside safely, according to the news release. One man was displaced from his home as a result of the fire.

The damaged is estimated to be worth about $20,000. No one was injured, according to the news release.

Bakersfield.com Daily Deal!

WESTEC

Daily Deal

50% off Adult CPR/Medic First Aid or Forklift Training

Value
$35
% Off
50%
You Save
$17.50
0 Bought
Buy Now! See more deals